Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

New Season of Dance

So....



I'm starting my first class here tonight, and I'm nervous. There is nothing to be nervous about really, I've been dancing my entire life. But when it comes to touching others in ways to make them come back, I get really nervous.

I know From experience that I have taken from teachers that I love and one combo or song gone bad or that I didn't connect with I didn't look forward to coming back. But I do know that we all can't always connect in positive ways. I know that I was touched even though it was negative. It might also been my mood, or people in class who knows.

I also get nervous because I can shape some ones mind. These are young kids, so I'm responsible for teaching them the correct way to use their bodies. Which I'm thankful for all the collage knowledge I know. I wish I had someone to really push and pull me the way I do in their class. I basically had to teach myself how to dance in many different ways. One thing I'm trying to figure out how to teach or how to find. Is passion. I think either you have it or you don't. You have to discover it yourself.


Another thing with dancers. We constantly have to look at ourselves in the mirror. The mirror is a tool, yet it can be a very harsh tool if used incorrectly. It's hard to get someone our of the mirror. either your so attached to looking at your self you can't take your eyes off of it. Or so consumed by how you look that you can't even look into your eyes at all. It's very hard to have someone find the middel. I know it was hard for me. I was always told i never gave my self credit, or wasn’t confident enough to stand in the front unless pulled there. I didn't know when I should just go up there without looking conceded. Its so hard to care about what others think yet not care about what they think at all. It can really drive you nuts if you constantly care about what they think.

It can get so confusing for me. But in the end It depends on me, Some days I can care less what they think, and other days, I’m so worried.

So here is tonight. I'm not ready at all, just found my song, but I choreograph better unders pressure.

The song I'm using tonight is Studying Stones by Ani Difranco. Let me tell you this woman has touched me is so many ways. I always enjoy dancing to her music. It is in many ways spoken word, but not. You should check her out.

No comments: